Friday, April 13, 2012

A View From The Pit: Black Dahlia Murder, Nile, Skeletonwitch, Hour Of Penance

Here we are, another Monday night show that comes on the heels of a solid sow the previous night. A week before was Onslaught following Deicide, this week its Black Dahlia Murder and guests following Dying Fetus, 3 Inches of Blood, and seemingly 100 other bands. Now I did not go to either of the Sunday shows but as I was driving to the venue I was hoping more people show up to this Monday show than the previous one. Onlsaught was playing their very first US date in the United States and the venue was empty, by the end of the night there was maybe 200 heshers there. When I walked around the corner from the parking lot this time my fears were quickly laid to rest as the line was around the corner. I hadn't seen a lineup this long to get in to a show at El Corazon in a very long time.





As I made my way through the line and into the venue I noticed something; that I, in my mid twenties, seemed to be one of the elder statesmen in the place, I flat out felt old here. But it didn't matter because Italian brutal death heroes Hour of Penance were coming to the stage. I was worried the young scene hoppers won't know the band but the crowd of young whippersnappers did not disappoint. The band was great paying tracks off Paradogma, Vile Conception, as well as their new album just released Sedition. Full of energy, playing to perfection, my intense anticipation was met by their incredible talent and stage presence. They didn't need to do much to rile up the crowd, their music did all the work for them, especially set ender "Misconception," the lead track off their breakthrough album Vile Conception. Bottom line is, these lads need to come back to the US as headliners and soon.

Hour of Penance
Next up was the band I was most looking forward to, the blackened thrash stylings of Skeletonwitch. They are seemingly always on tour and yet the few times I saw that they were coming to the great Pacific Northwest I always had something come up that wouldn't allow me to go. This was my time and I was going to make the very best of it. I was up front singing along to "Beyond the Permafrost," "Crushed Beyond Dust," and my favorite "Submit to the Suffering." Chance Garnett's vocals were as blistering as they are on record and the guitar interplay tunnelled my focus for a major portion of their set, the rest of the time I was too busy thrashing my ass off. These guys have a reputation of being one of the best live acts around and it is clear why, they can simply play. They said they will be doing a headline tour in the Fall, you better believe I will be in attendance!

Skeletonwitch

Up next to the main stage, head bangers if you gots some dollas let me hear you holla its Niiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllle! The almost TOO heavy death metal band that sings about Egypt is one that simply has to stand on the stage, play one riff, and the whole building might collapse. Tonight the band was in top form, they were playing as tight as any band that has been around as long as they have. Playing tracks off of Ithyphallic, Annihilation of the Wicked, as well as the latest Those Whom The Gods Detest, the crowd was eating up every last blast beat, beastly growl, and shredding guitar solo. When the band ended with "Black Seeds of Vengeance" the crowd went absolutely apeshit crazy, chanting along with them and swirling in a vortex of sweat and aggession. Nile definitely gives new meaning to the word intensity.

Nile


Now, I mentioned in the title that Black Dahlia Murder was the headliner of the evening, but unfortunately I didn't see much of their set. My reasoning for this was that I ended up imbibing too many drinks and hanging out with Chance from Skeletonwitch in the bar the whole time. I don't regret it because I have seen BDM about 4 times already and it was a good chance to simply hang out with someone from one of my favorite bands. All in all, this was one of the best shows I have been to in a very long time.

No comments: