Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pure Molten Metal


"Are you ready for some pure fucking folk metal?!?!?!?!?!?" - Christian Glanzmann - Eluveitie

Bagpipes, fifes, flutes, and more bagpipes; how great is it that metal is finally integrating these instruments into its underground depravity?!?! I am a huge fan of folk metal and I believe that more people need to get into this genre. I think that my interest in the genre comes from the same reason that the Irish punk stylings of the Dropkick Murphys is one of my favorite bands. I crave these less than popular instruments that creates an amazing sound. I've been listening to Eluveitie, Ensiferum, Alestorm, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Suidakra, and many others for a couple years now and I cannot help but love these bands. Even though I love death and thrash (and I always will), I need some wrench to throw into the gears. That comes in the form of different instruments that may not sound very heavy to begin with, but when you see two women performing twin wind-mill headbanging while playing a fiddle and a hurdy gurdy, your opinion will definitely change. Watching a hundred black clad metalheads performing a jig in the middle of a moshpit makes me so happy I can not even put it to words. There needs to be some sort of levity in the metal underground because in this day and age people get so consumed with a feeling of "I'm metal and need to be serious about it," we need bands that can simply bring a smile to peoples' faces. Some people have told me that folk metal is just too simple and that does not make it very metal. I have one opposition to that; how simple is it to bring 7 instruments and4 vocalists together and make a heavy as well as melodic composition? Even though it may just be a fad, I believe that this is a sub-genre that I will continue to love. When I turn 70, it might be easier to listen to Ensiferum than Withered Earth!

No comments: