Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pure Molten Metal

Its been awhile since I have written an editorial so I thought I'd let you know what has been going on lately. I have been trying to buy as many albums as I possibly can lately. In recent memory I have purchased (not downloaded):
Through The Eyes of The Dead - Malice
Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast
Destroy Destroy Destroy - Devour The Power
Skeletonwitch - Breathing the Fire
Dying Fetus - Descend Into Depravity
Dying To Bleed - The Decaying Process
Shaded Enmity - Like Prayers on Deaf Ears
Those are just a few that I have bought in the last month and I have six more coming in the mail as I write this. My reason for bringing this up is the fact that so many people do not buy albums anymore. Gone is the day when people would wait for every Tuesday and purchase the latest releases. Gone is the day that people would bring their latest purchase over to their friend's house to listen to the music and look through the booklet. The age of Napster and iTunes has almost destroyed the recored industry. People can download whole albums for free or purchase single songs without even caring about the other songs on the album that they are missing. It is a shame that this is happening because there are thousands of people that depend on selling their music as their passion in order to make a living for themselves. Luckily, it seems that the metal community has not completely abandoned the music industry. As a result of metalheads shunning most of popular culture, they still purchase albums when they come out. The majority of metalheads still revel in buying a new album so that they can read through the booklet, enjoy all the artwork, and share with their friends the glory of their new purchase. My advice, go out, buy what you can, and enjoy all that a new CD entails. To me, there is nothing like opening the plastic wrap on a new album and breathing in the wonder that is brand new music.

3 comments:

Lundtheconqueror said...

A couple years ago I sold all my CDs after putting them on iTunes. While I do miss the booklet, I have to say the convenience is awesome.
I don't disagree with you, just that I think we are both right!
By the way, what did you think of Stormblast? I absolutely love it!

NW_MetalHead said...

Sorry I'm just noticing your post, I've spent a long time away.
I do have all my music on my iTunes as well but I need to be able to look through my booklets and see all my cds. But thats just me.
And I also loved Stormblast, to me it might be one of the only DB albums I like

NW_MetalHead said...

bvmp