Thursday, July 16, 2009

Pure Molten Metal

Today's rant is about one's interests in music. As I have grown up, my taste in music has grown as well. I have moved beyond the bland commercial rock that has inundated our musical airwaves. Nickelback, Three Days Grace, Rev Theory, and Breaking Benjamin are all bands that sound pretty much exactly the same and continue to put out watered-down rock the disguises itself as new. When I was in high school I was guilty of loving these types of bands. The Nu-Metal phase was in full effect and I was swept up into it. My first concert ever was Korn, Disturbed, and Trust Co. However, as time went on, I began to realize that I needed more from my music. Like a great deal of metalheads, I moved on from Nu-Metal to Metalcore to everything else. I started with Korn, then moved to Hatebreed then to Malevolent Creation. This was not a transistion that I made quickly. I had to start off my musical journey on my own, finding new and exciting bands without the aid of an older brother or friend down the street. I started off with music magazines and online news sites that gave me information on an insane amount of new bands. As of today, I am in possesion of hundreds of albums and still have barely cracked the surface of the spectrum of metal. Currently I am in the habit of buying older albums that every metalhead should own including album from Vader, Kreator, Aborted, and many many more. So my advice to everyone out there is to never stop searching for new bands and genres. One cannot simply be content to stay in one spot and not try new things. There are more bands out there than the first ones that one finds. Keep on truckin!

2 comments:

Lundtheconqueror said...

Couldn't agree more!

NW_MetalHead said...

Do you have a similar story? How have you come across your metal affair?